Turning back the clock

With my flight back to Malaysia looming, my trusty old laptop decided to give the song Graduation by Vitamin C some airplay and it struck me how fast time has slipped away since I first got here. I vaguely remembered my first day in London fresh and bug eyed from Kuala Lumpur. It felt as if I had landed in totally different planet altogether as there was so many exciting and new things to see. I marveled at everything except the kitchen sink as there were just so many things that wasn't present in Malaysia such as water vending machines and internet kiosks where you can make international calls. As far as I was concerned, this would mark a beginning of a new chapter in my life. Even the whether didn't fail to surprise me. It was a blustery afternoon on the day I arrived at Heathrow Airport. The air felt cool and invigourating; a refreshing break from the sweltering heat which I was used to in Kuala Lumpur. It felt like someone an extended break to the highlands in Kuala Lumpur. En-route to my term accommodation, we passed by the University of the West of England (UWE) which I would be studying in. On first impression, its expansive grounds and various faculties struck me with awe as its sheer size trumps Taylor's campus size. To put it into analogical terms, if Taylor's was a basketball court, UWE was a football field. I did get lost in the corridors of UWE with each wrong turn bringing me deeper and deeper into the labyrinth. Admittedly, even now I still have not explored fully the manifold corridors in UWE and I do occasionally get lost every now and then if I don't look where I'm going...

Photobucket
This analogy works just as well.


Dinner that night was courtesy of Jomay. It went well except for the small fact that the pasta was half cooked. I almost baulked at eating it but I was thankful I wasn't in charge of cooking as my cooking skills at that time was nothing to shout about much less getting a Michelin star. Needless to say, I wolfed down my share as there wasn't anything else to go by that night and grocery shopping was in order the next morning. My first grocery shopping in Bristol was another matter altogether. Everything seemed so expensive due to the currency conversion from RM to pounds which was at 7 to 1. Therefore I went with whatever that was the best bang for the buck based on recommendations to those who were here before me while ignoring the incessant voice in the back of my head telling me to buy only the cheapest items on the shelves.

Autumn soon rolled in and while some of them were still strolling about in t-shirt and shorts with thongs, I had to bundle myself in a jacket although it wasn't half as bad as when winter came along. The nights were long and cold and it didn't help as my room heater seemed to have a mind of its own and would only come on during the daytime or not come on at all. Thankfully I had my duvet and sweater handy so I was able to keep warm and snug despite the finicky heater.

Photobucket


Spring was a welcome break from the cold and harsh winter weather especially when I'm not built to weather such weathers. (I love puns!) There was occasional light snow but other than that spring isn't much to write home about. Summer was fantastic as the temperature suited me the best while others found the temperature a tad too warm for their liking. Outside the temperature hovered around the 20 degrees celcius mark but the dreaded heater from hell decided to come back with a vengeance while attempting to roast me in my room. Feeling toasty in the winter is one thing but having a heater working overtime in the summer is another thing altogether. Lashing out at the heater was a bad idea as it retaliated by giving me a minor burn on my foot so I 'literally killed' it by pulling the plug (technically I just switched it off since there wasn't any plug to pull in the first place).

Photobucket
Sweet revenge for all that inconvenience!

On another note, this was supposed to be a post on friendship but somehow it turned into something else altogether. I suppose this is what happens when you don't draft out what you want to write.

0 comments: