Procrastination

Spurred by Jomay's comment to blog more often, I will kindly oblige by putting up one extra post on the blog just to give the illusion that I'll be frequently updating my blog. =p

However, being the sloth that I am, I usually put off doing anything to the extent that it turns from something that can be done during my leisure time to something that is extremely urgent. Which brings me on to another point, procrastination. For me, being lazy is part and parcel of procrastination. One does not exist without the other. Just to make sure I'm not firing off some dubious statements, I did a quick cross check with wikipedia and what I read didn't bode too well. As it turns out, "Procrastination can be a persistent and debilitating disorder in some people, causing significant psychological disability and dysfunction. These individuals may actually be suffering from an underlying mental health problem such as depression or ADHD" (wikipedia). This is indeed worrisome for someone like me but then again, half of the information on wikipedia is rubbish since anyone can have a go at altering the data there and since I'm too bothered to dig deeper into the psychological causes/impacts of procrastination, I'll just throw the whole notion that putting things off until the last minute is detrimental to one's health into the back burner and be done with it. Talk about procrastination in action! I just hope that this doesn't come back to haunt me someday or else you'll be seeing a rabid young adult desperately vying for attention running amok on the street...

Photobucket
A sloth doing what it does best; sleep!


Oddly enough, at this point I feel compelled to continue writing about this. What started out as a quick 10 minutes post may go on to become a full blown muse/rant/ramble/reflection which most people may/may not read to its entirety.

Anyhow, I suppose the reason why I feel compelled to write on can be attributed to motivation or to some extent, passion. But what kind of person is abetted to write about dragging one's foot unless their next residence is in a mental institute? Well for one, there's always the person who delays decisions until the 11th hour which which I am constantly guilty of. There's always a sense of foreboding whenever you need to make certain important decisions; the fear of the unknown. There's always the "What if's" you get before doing anything but once its done, it's usually "That was a lot easier than I had anticipated. I'm surprised I didn't get that done earlier" or worse still, a second round of "What if's" comes back to haunt you such as the proverbial "What if I had studied paid more attention in class? Maybe then I could have got better grades". Unfortunately, there's no point in harping about things that are in the past so all we can do is move on while bearing in mind not to repeat the same mistake. Mulling over it for a short period of time is reasonable enough but there are others who tend to dwell in the past thinking that they can do something about the outcome if they brood over it long enough. If you ask me, it's all a waste of time and unless the dead can be reanimated, then maybe there's a way to salvage the outcome.

Photobucket
Yeah right!


So I've reached the end of the post. I'm leaving out the passion part because I think it could be another post by itself assuming I do get round to writing it...

0 comments: